By: Gale Wilcox
The phrase “favor of God” seems to be growing in popularity. But it’s often misunderstood. Divine favor is not the result of luck. Divine favor is not about having material, financial or worldly gain. Neither is divine favor given with favoritism – “For there is no respect of persons with God” (Romans 2:11).
Divine favor is simply the undeserved kindness of God, and it is His to give to whom He chooses, when He chooses, and how He chooses. - “For he said to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. So then it is not of him that wills, nor of him that runs, but of God that shows mercy” (Romans 9:15-16).
Discover what the bible says about “Divine Favor of God.” While this may not be an exhaustive reference on the subject, it is intended to encourage you to study God’s word for yourself, that you may know the truth.
1. Divine Favor of God Starts With Having A Relationship With God
· Ephesians 2:8 - For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of
· I Timothy 2:4 - Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
· Titus 2:11 - For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men…
2. Having Prosperity or Wealth Does Not Mean A Man Has Divine Favor
· Jeremiah 12:1-2 - Righteous art you, O LORD, when I plead with you: yet let me talk with you of your
judgments: Why does the way of the wicked prosper? Why are they all happy that deal very
treacherously? You have planted them, yes, they have taken root: they grow, yes, they bring forth
fruit: you are near in their mouth, and far from their mind.
· Ezekiel 33:31 - And they come unto you as the people comes, and they sit before you as my people,
and they hear your words, but they will not do them: for with their mouth they show much love, but
their heart goes after their covetousness.
· Titus 1:16 - They profess that they know God, but in works they deny him, being abominable, and
disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.
3. Divine Favor Is The Result of Obedience to The Divine Counsels of God
· Proverbs 3:1-4 - My son, forget not my law, but let your heart keep my commandments: for length of
days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to you. Let not mercy and truth forsake you: bind them
about your neck, write them upon the table of our heart: so shall you find favor and good
understanding in the sight of God and man.
· Proverbs 8:34-35 - Blessed is the man that hears me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts
of my doors. For whoever finds me, finds life, and shall obtain favor of the LORD.
· Proverbs 14:9 - Fools make a mock at sin: but among the righteous there is favor.
· Psalms 5:12 - For you, LORD, will bless the righteous, with favor will you compass him as with a shield.
· Psalms 84:11 - For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good
thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.
4. Divine Favor Does Not Mean Exemption from Trials and Troubles
· Genesis 39:19-23 - And it came to pass, when his master heard the words of his wife, which she spoke
unto him, saying, After this manner did your servant to me, that his wrath was kindled. And Joseph's
master took him, and put him into the prison, a place where the king's prisoners were bound: and he
was there in the prison. But the LORD was with Joseph, and showed him mercy, and gave him favor
in the sight of the keeper of the prison. And the keeper of the prison committed to Joseph's hand all the
prisoners that were in the prison, and whatsoever they did there, he was the doer of it. The keeper of
the prison looked not to anything that was under his hand, because the LORD was with him, and that
which he did, the LORD made it to prosper.
· II Corinthians 6:4-10 - But in all things approving ourselves as the ministers of God, in much patience,
in afflictions, in necessities, in distresses, in stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labors, in
watchings, in fastings - By pureness, by knowledge, by longsuffering, by kindness, by the Holy Ghost,
by love unfeigned, by the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armor of righteousness on the
right hand and on the left, by honor and dishonor, by evil report and good report: as deceivers, and yet
true - As unknown, and yet well known, as dying, and, behold, we live, as chastened, and not killed, as
sorrowful, yet always rejoicing, as poor, yet making many rich, as having nothing, and yet possessing
· I Corinthians 4:11-13 - Even unto this present hour we both hunger, and thirst, and are naked, and are
buffeted, and have no certain dwelling place, and labor, working with our own hands: being reviled, we
bless, being persecuted, we suffer it: being defamed, we intreat: we are made as the filth of the world,
and are the off scouring of all things unto this day.
· II Timothy 3:12 - Yes, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.
5. As We Grow in The Things of God We Gain Favor from Both God And Man
· I Samuel 2:26 - And the child Samuel grew on, and was in favor both with the LORD, and also with men.
· Luke 2:52 - And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man.
· Romans 14:17-18 - For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink, but righteousness, and peace, and
joy in the Holy Ghost. For he that in these things serve Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of